THE CENTER'S PURPOSE STATEMENT
The Center for Quality Assurance is mainly concerned with accreditation, evaluation and recognition.
The purpose of the Center is to ensure that the university achieves and maintains high quality educational standards and also exploits available opportunities for improvement
The Center for Quality Assurance at Daystar University aspires to be a distinguished Christ-centered Center for enhancing excellent quality delivery of educational services to the University’s student community.
The Center for Quality Assurance at Daystar University exists to work collaboratively with other departments, teaching and non-teaching, to ensure that the university develops quality and internationally recognized effective Christian servant leaders for the transformation of church and society in Africa and the world.
BROAD OBJECTIVE OF THE CENTER
The broad objective of the Center is to ensure that Daystar becomes a recognized world class Christ centered university that offers quality education.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF THE CENTER
- To work with the university administration to ensure that the university has adequate and appropriate physical facilities for the University’s academic programs.
- To work with Academic departments in conjunction with the relevant committees, such as the deans’ committee, the senate and the Commission for Higher Education to ensure that the University’s curriculum is adequate in terms of content and academic resources.
- To provide guidance on internationally recognized benchmarks against which the university to assess its teaching/learning materials and equipment
- To work with departments and relevant university bodies, such as the research department and HR, to ensure that faculty have the requisite academic qualifications.
- To ensure that the university adheres to both internal and external quality assurance mechanisms in reference to assessment and examination of students.
- To ensure that everyone in the university is kept aware of Kenya’s educational regulatory mechanisms as provided for in legal frameworks enacted by the government.
- To network Daystar University with other universities in Africa and the world and to ensure that Daystar obtains and maintains high international ratings.
- To keep daystar abreast with international education guidelines
- To ensure satisfactory documentation of work on quality assurance that can be used to reveal both strengths and weakness in the University’s education system.
AREAS OF ACTIVITY IN QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Keeping up-to-date documentation of records and data related to quality assurance.
- Running regular workshops and trainings to ensure teaching staff are equipped with the requisite skills.
- Developing and updating a system to continuously evaluate the university’s education system in terms of provision of information to potential students; provision of information to registered students and evaluation of teaching by students.
- Providing a forum for self-evaluation by departments within the university and to ensure a follow up on all evaluations.
- Establishing, revising and updating routines for evaluating the university’s work on the learning environment and quality assurance of new course provisions.
- Regularly carrying out studies to determine the quality of the university’s graduates in the industry/ work place.
- Establish rapport with all departments as partners in the delivery of quality services.
- Inviting professionals, local and international, to facilitate in trainings and workshops.
- Collect information and data from locally based organizations such as CHE on quality assurance benchmarks and make these available to all departments.
- Develop a Quality Assurance handbook to be distributed to all departments.
- Collect information and data from international educational quality assurance organizations and avail these to relevant daystar university departments.
- Give direction to the university and her constituent parts on quality assurance and accreditation.
- Hold regular meetings with departmental heads to brainstorm on improving quality in the respective departments and to discuss current quality assurance trends in various academic disciplines/ educational administrative systems.
- Publish annual appraisals of all departments in terms of quality delivery of services
- Network with other quality assurance departments in and outside the country for comparison purposes