DAYSTAR COMPANY UNVEILS TASKFORCE
The Daystar Company, the legal sponsor of Daystar University, has appointed an Independent Taskforce to address the current crisis at Daystar University, and advise the Company and the University Council on strategic interventions necessary to progress the University, in ensuring all University organs work together.
The taskforce was unveiled at a press conference hosted by the Chair of the Daystar Company Board, Dr. MacMillan Kiiru on Wednesday April 25, 2018, during which time he also commissioned the Taskforce.
The Taskforce is chaired Prof. Henry Moses Thairu and comprises Mrs. Rose Ngara-Muraya (Vice-Chair), Prof. Zablon Nthamburi, Rev. Dr. Matthews Mwalw’a, Mrs. Bernice Gachegu, Dr. Erastus Mureithi, Mrs. Lillian Ogola, Mr. Ken Obimbo, Mr. Kiragu Wachira, Dr. Stanley Mukolwe, Ms. Catherine Butaki, and Dr. William Otiende Ogara. The taskforce is supported by a Technical Team from the Company.
Dr. Kiiru clarified that the Taskforce was not replacing any of the University organs in the execution of its mandate, but that it was here to support the Company on implementation of the forensic investigation report of the Council as well as advise on areas that needed strengthening within the University.
The role of Daystar Company as the sponsor of the University is to appoint the University Council, its Chair, the University Chancellor, and to serve as a custodian of the University vision and mission.
The Council on the other hand oversees the operations of the University and by appointing the executive including the Vice-Chancellor, DVCs and other senior positions that manage the day-to-day running of the University.
Dr. Kiiru stated that during its term in office, the Taskforce will undertake the following:
- Review and consider the report of the University Council on the forensic investigation into Daystar University crisis, including immediate re-opening of the University and make appropriate recommendations to the various governance organs;
- Review and consider the exit report of the Commission for University Education (CUE) on Daystar University and make appropriate recommendations to the various governance organs;
- Identify any gaps, weaknesses and challenges in the University policies, systems, structures and processes that may have led to the current crisis;
- Work alongside the Council, Senate and Management Board to find a lasting solution to the problems that have bedeviled the University;
- Make recommendations to the Company on the ways to resolve the current crisis as well as the short-term, medium-term and long-term measures and strategies to be adopted in ensuring that the University effectively fulfils its vision and mission; and
- Carry out any other task as the Company Board may assign in relation to resolving the current crisis at Daystar University.
“We recognize that the Forensic Investigation Report contains pertinent issues that are critical to the progression of the University,” said Prof. Thairu in his acceptance speech.
He thanked the Daystar Company Board for giving him the opportunity to serve as the Chair the Independent Taskforce, adding that the Taskforce would delve into the report with a view to expediently addressing the issues therein guided by key priorities. He promised to work closely with the various University organs toward achieving the desired outcomes.
On his part the Chair of Council Prof. George Krhoda thanked the Company for moving in to lend a helping hand to the University Council in resolving the crisis.