Health and Safety Committee launched
The Ag. Vice Chancellor Rev. Prof James Kombo launched a Health and Safety committee of the Management Board on March 13, 2018.
The committee membership is drawn from the Management Board, SSADU (Senior Staff Association of Daystar University) and DUGSA (General Staff of Daystar University), and comprises Assistant Director for Quality Assurance Dr. Dorothy Kagwaini as Chair, Chief Human Resource Manager Mr. Pius Muia, Mrs. Gladys Kurui-Kimaru (HR) as Secretary, Ag. Dean of Students Dr. Peterson Mwangi, Mr. Emmanuel Musau (ICT), Mrs. Faith Mburu (Science department), Mrs. Caroline Mwangi (University Services), Ms. Jean Murungi (Corporate Affairs), Mr. Edgar Otanga (Library), and Mr. Jonathan Ekambi (ICT).
Prof. Kombo thanked the members for accepting to be part of the committee and clarified that although it was constituted by management, it is a statutory requirement by the Government. Thus, he stressed on the need to ensure that the committee runs according to the Law, with proper documentation. He further urged the members to take the duties seriously.
Also present was the Ag. DVC Academic Affairs Prof. Bernard Boyo and the Chief Human Resource Manager, Mr. Pius Muia.
“This committee is critical because it deals with matters to do with security of the community, with regard to facilities and welfare of the community,” said the Ag DVC Academic Affairs, Prof Boyo. He called on the committee to focus on areas that have never been considered, such as accessibility to all buildings by physically challenged people. He also encouraged the committee to engage other entities in the University as they come up with proposals to the University.
On her part the Chair, Dr. Dorothy Kagwaini, encouraged the members to commit the activities of the committee to God so that God can guide them, seeing that this is the first time such a committee has been formed in Daystar.
The Health and Safety Committee is a statutory requirement of the government of Kenya, with the aim of ensuring a safe working environment in places of work. Thus, the committee will be expected to ensure that the working environment is healthy and free of hazards.
Functions and Duties of Committees
- Establish a schedule of inspection of the workplace for each calendar year.
- Conduct safety and health inspections at least once in every three months.
- Inspect, investigate and make recommendations to the occupier immediately any accident or dangerous occurrence takes place.
- Identify occupational hazards and cases of ill-health among workers at the workplace and make appropriate recommendations to the occupier.
- Compile statistics of accidents, dangerous occurrences and cases of ill-health as primary data for providing remedial measures, planning and allocation of resources. 6) Investigate complaints relating to workers’ health, safety and welfare at the workplace and make representations to the occupier on their findings.
- Advise on the adequacy or otherwise of safety and health measures for particular hazardous work or activities.
- Establish effective communication channels on matters of health and safety between the management and the workers.
- Organize such contests or activities necessary for achieving the fulfillment of the mandate of the Committee.
- Conduct seminars and workers’ education programs.
- Provide information for safety, health and welfare at the workplace.
- Carry out any other functions necessary for the promotion of a safe and Healthy working environment.