- Dr. S. Muriungi joined Daystar as a part time lecturer in 2010 and later joined Daystar as a full time senior lecture in June 2013. She has been involved in teaching Post graduate and undergraduate students since then. She is also involved in research supervision of masters and PhD students.
Dr Muriungi was appointed as a Vice chairperson of the Ethics and Research Board of Daystar in 2015 where she is serving up to date.
She was appointed as a Head of Department in Counselling and Psychology in September 2016 which she is up to date
- Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology from The University of Nairobi, School of Medicine
- Master of Science, MSc. in Clinical Psychology from The University of Nairobi, School of Medicine.
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Psychology from United States International University
Experience in University Teaching
- Great Lakes university from 2008 to 2011
- Kenya School of Government from 2005 to 2013
Publications and Patents
- Susan K. Muriungi, David Ndetei, Lilian K.M. Mwenda, Cyrus Matheka and Mary Kanyotu. Socio-Demographics Characteristics and Patterns of Burnout Syndrome among College Academic Staff in Kenya. Volume 3, Issue 7. July, 2015. Pages: 320-337.
- Susan Muriungi, Michael Kihara, Mathew Kipturgo, Davis Ndetei and Cyrus Matheka. Co-morbidity of Anxiety, alcohol and substance abuse among students at the Kenya Medical Training Colleges in Kenya. December 2014 International Journal of Current Research (IJCR): Volume 6, Issue 12.
- Susan K. Muriungi, David M. Ndetei, Joseph Karanja and Cyrus W. Matheka. Prevalence of alcohol and substance abuse among students at the Kenya Medical Training College- Kenya Journal Of substance Abuse http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rmhs20- May 2013
- Susan K. Muriungi, David M. Ndetei. Effectiveness of psycho-education on depression, hopelessness, suicidality, anxiety and substance use among basic diploma students at Kenya Medical Training College- June 2013 Vol. 19 No. 2 – South African Journal of Psychiatry 50
- Ndetei DM, Muriungi SK, Owoso A, Mutiso VN, Mbwayo AW, Khasakhala LI, Barch DM, Mamah D. Prevalence and characteristics of psychotic-like experiences in Kenyan youth. Psychiatric Res- .Epub 2012 Mar 2730; 196(2-3):235-42
- Daniel Mamah, Akinkunle Owoso, Anne Mbwayo, Mutiso V., Muriungi S. K Khasakhala L. et al. Classes of Psychotic Experiences in Kenyan Children and Adolescents. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. DOI 10.1007/s 1057-012-0339.
Manuals and Book Chapters
- Co-author, The Kenya armed forces curriculum on HIV/AIDS for nurses.
- Book Chapter: “Burn-out” in the book “Your A to Z of mental disorders 2nd Revised Edition” Acrodile Publishers.
- Co-developed student and teacher guide STI/HIV/AIDS training manuals used in all public, private and mission MTCs in Kenya
Participation in International Scientific Conference
- 4th Annual Scientific Conference For Kenya Counselling and Psychological Association on 10th to 11th Nov 2016; Susan k. Muriungi and Caroline Ayuya; Co-Presented a scientific paper on: Groupthink as a perpetuator of violence: the role of community and psychologists in minimizing negative groupthink before, during and after elections.
- Susan Muriungi, Attended Psychological Needs of refugees and internally displaced people-German-African research workshop for innovation in African Health cases systems- 24th-26th Feb. 2016
- Susan K. Muriungi, KMTC 3rd Scientific Conference, Key Note Address and Co- chair national; topic, trends in alcohol and substance abuse; 2014.
- Susan K. Muriungi, Co-morbidity of Anxiety and substance abuse risk among students at Kenya Medical Training in Kenya. KMTC 3nd Annual National Scientific Conference’2014 (paper presented)
- Susan K. Muriungi, Prevalence of alcohol and substance abuse risk among students at Kenya Medical Training College Kenya, KMTC 2nd Annual National Scientific Conference, 2012 (paper presented).
- Susan K. Muriungi, Prevalence of burnout syndrome among academic staff at KMTC Nairobi campus, KMTC 2nd Annual National Scientific Conference, 2012 (paper presented)
- Attended an international ISSTC in Brazil- 2013
- Represented KMTC in an international HIV/AIDS conference in Spain- 2002
Appointments by the Government and Institutions
- External Examiner at the Department Of Psychology in the Technical University of Kenya from 2015 up to date.
- Board of Governor in Dagoretti Boys High School rom 2016 up to date.
- Director, Sugar Research Institute from, September 2012 to July 2014(dissolved due to ongoing Agricultural reforms).
- Member of Board of Governor, Limuru Girls from 2003 to 2013.
Church Involvement and Positions
- Member of Charles new Methodist Church from 1985 to 2000.
Held several positions at different times; Assistant Church Secretary, vice chairperson of Women fellowship, Chairperson of praise and worship committee.
- From 2000 up to date: Member at Lovington United church.
Appointed as a missions committee member, Intercessory prayers member.
Membership to Professional Bodies
- Kenya Counselling and Psychological Association
- Association for Physiotherapists
- Association for Directors